Monday, September 27, 2010

TBP: Drawing Lab, Part 7

Unit 6 of Drawing Lab focused on being inspired by nature.  I don't know if it is because I have been working solely out of this book for so long or because of the labs themselves, but I had such a hard time getting myself to do any of the labs in this unit.  Although at this point I shouldn't be, I was still surprised how much I enjoyed doing these labs.  They were fun to do and I was actually pleased with most of the outcomes.

Below are my three favorites from this unit.


This one was actually a bit different from the other labs because it was more step by step of what to do.  The flower above was done with graphite pencil, watercolor, acrylic, and a white gel pen.  I enjoyed playing with all the different media in one piece (more than I would normally dare), though I did end up confirming with myself that I am not a fan of acrylic.  There are some things I would change if ever decide to try this lab again, but overall I liked the piece.


The bug one was just so silly!  Made up bug names, lots of doodling, some contour drawing, and just having fun playing with colors.


This one surprised me the most.  I did draw from real life things placed randomly on the paper.  I was planning on painting them similar colors to the real objects, but realized that it was just going to be a bunch of green and grey.  How bleh!  So I went nuts just choosing whatever colors I felt belonged there and fell in love with the piece.  This one was by far my favorite from this unit and I'll definitely be going back to this lab!

Check back weekly for my latest update on the Book Project.  Thanks for looking!

36/52 (69%) projects from Drawing Lab completed.

3 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

I have this book,but haven't done any of the exercises yet. You've made me want to try them! nancy

EVA said...

Beautiful drawings Vee!!

They are all great but I especially like the yellow flower! Lovely!

Vee said...

Thanks, Nancy and Eva!

Nancy, I enjoy seeing all of the art projects that you do on your blog. I would love to see what you do with Drawing Lab!