Friday, May 6, 2011

Starting, Finishing, and Taking Breaks

A quick drawing of things on my desk using a brush pen.

Very recently I got into a routine of working out. It became a habit, a part of me. I ended up getting sick and pushed to do my workouts - even without the energy. The only problem was that I didn't seem to be getting better. I was getting worse and hating my workouts. That's when I figured out that I needed to take a break, get better, and get then get back on to working out.

Around that time, I was driving myself crazy with the book project. What little time I did have was spent working on the project and through the current book. I was frustrated because I was starting to feel like I wasn't really making anything for myself. Sure, I was learning and pushing myself out of my comfort zone in order to better myself. Still, something felt wrong.

That was when I decided to pick up a book and start reading just for the pure enjoyment of reading. I didn't touch any art or craft supplies, spending my spare moments reading book after book. Weeks later, I finally picked up a ballpoint pen and started drawing. I felt refreshed and enthusiastic about creating again.

The hardest part of any project is finishing. But this is also for fun and fulfillment; I need to remember to take a break when it is needed.

No comments: