Monday, March 28, 2011

TBP: Journal Spilling, Part 5

"Every act of creation is first an act of destruction."
-Pablo Picasso


This one was a work of layering gesso, paper, and paint - which ended with a lot of mixed feelings.  Since layering (especially with acrylics) is something that I don't normally do, it was actually quite freeing to do something different.  It was fun going along with what Diana did for her own page and having my own twists.

I don't know if it was the layers of paper, the use of acrylics, or something else; but as each layer was placed down I got a heavy feeling.  A downer, of sorts.  As much as I was having fun, the other feeling kept getting in the way.  I was glad to finally be done with it.

This is leading me to hesitation on doing some of the future projects of Journal Spilling, because I  don't think that I should be doing anything that I am not enjoying.  How far do I really go and try something out before I completely rule it out?  I've actually veered away from most mixed media books because their main techniques & materials involve acrylics and plenty of layering of either paints or paper.

I don't want to give up on the book, it has a lot of promise.  Just don't expect to see any more of the projects that include acrylic paints or too much layering (unless I happen to go along with it on a whim).

What would you do?  How long would you try out a technique or material before you rule it out as something you are willing to work with?

The Book Project is an ongoing project to put my collection of art & craft books to good use by working through them. You can read more about it here. I would also love to hear if you are working through your books as well or would like to join me!

No comments: